ART IN THE GARDENS The Old Monterey Foundation is pleased to announce that its series of Plein Air events continues this year with “Art in the Gardens” September 12 & 13. Mark your calendars and plan to attend. Saturday, September 12th: 11 AM – 4 PM:
- Local artists paint in and around the historic gardens of Old Monterey.
- Docents and gardeners interpret and explain the creation and maintenance of each garden featured.
- Information area in Sensory Garden (Olivier Street, outside Picket Fence) will feature maps of gardens for use by attendees.
- Tickets on sale for a drawing to win original paintings donated by participating artists.
Continue reading 2015 ART IN THE GARDENS – PLEIN AIRE (September 12 & 13)
The Old Monterey Foundation is pleased to report that Monterey’s Neighborhood Improvement Committee (NIP) has allocated $215,000 to our request for funding of the preliminary implementation of the Master Plan for the lower Presidio Historic Park. It was nip and tuck as the voting to allocate about $3.8 million went to a third round, where we garnered 51 votes, sufficient to win funding from the remaining $750,000. Continue reading NIP Funds Lower Presidio Historic Park
The Board of the Old Monterey Foundation has been busy the past several weeks appearing before various City committees and initiating contact with various agencies necessary to the development process for the Lower Presidio Historic Park. Continue reading CITY COUNCIL APPROVES HIGH PRIORITY FOR PRESIDIO PARK
The Old Monterey Foundation has submitted an application to Monterey’s Neighborhood Improvement Committee to grant funding for preliminary development of the Lower Presidio Historic Park Master Plan. The proposal, filed on December 10, 2014, is currently wending its way through the NIP process, which consists of estimating costs by the City Engineer, presenting the actual project to the Committee van tour and testimony during regular NIP meetings at City Hall, and then competitive voting on April 23, 2015. Thereafter, the City Council reviews and approves final selection of projects for funding during June.
A copy of our application can be found here. Continue reading NIP FUNDING APPLICATION PENDING
We are happy to announce the four newest members of the OMF Board of Directors:
- Melissa Thoeny, long-time resident and graphic designer and owner of OLIO, a vintage shop that was located in the Rodriguez-Osio Adobe in downtown Monterey
- Patrick O’Dowd, who brings perspective and experience from his years as Associate Director and Curator of the Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation
- Steve Vagnini, well-known in his position as Monterey County Tax Assessor, his many community contributions include West End Celebration in Sand City, and the the non-profit “Guitars Not Guns”, which provides free guitar lessons to youth throughout the county.
- Bill Wojtkowski, long-time resident and former Director of Community Services for the City of Monterey, frequent volunteer among non-profits in and around Monterey.
From lectures, support of preservation projects, to art events the Old Monterey Foundation was right in the center of downtown’s cultural pulse – 2014 was an exciting and busy year! Read more about our events and accomplishments.
Continue reading 2014 Year in Review